Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Little House On The Mountain - Part 8

So, I've shown you how the original little house was transformed (and is still transforming)...Now, let me show you around a bit upstairs in the new addition.  Honestly, I have not decorated much upstairs so far.  You get to go on that journey with me in real time.

First of all, I'll show you the stairs themselves.  I painted the kick plates with chalk board paint so that I can change out words or quotes any time I want.  You can clearly see the stairs all the way up from the kitchen and dining room, so anything written on the kick plates is almost like wall art for the downstairs.  We are working on getting a banister.  Thankfully, no railing is not an issue because we don't have small kids.


In the addition, I went mostly with the wall color Mushroom, which is a smokey grey.  I got the recipe for it from Pinterest and took it to our Sherwin-Williams for a color match.  In the bedrooms, I went with SW Biscuit.

These autumn leaves from the immediate area around our house serve as my inspiration colors for the public spaces upstairs.  Nothing about our home is formal, but the upstairs is more casual than downstairs.  There are more mementos from our kids' childhoods than our own.  It's where our teenagers & twenty-something hang out together most of the time.


At the top of the stairs is the green armoire we bought for our baby girl's nursery because her room in our 100 year-old Texas ranch house didn't have a closet.  Now, we use it to store extra pillows, quilts & linens.  On top of the armoire are books from my childhood, an old milk can that was my husband's grandfather's, battery-operated candles with timers, a pair of our kids' cowboy boots, a globe & a Wahoo board from my childhood.  [Woo!  Forgive all the glare.  I'm working on my photography skills!]


Here is our new, upstairs bathroom.  I wanted it to look like my Daddy's dairy barn.  


Vintage medicine cabinet from Round Top (about $25).  Barn lighting from Lowe's.  The rusty corrugated metal was about $25 for all of it (and then some) from a flea market.  


I built the sink base out of vintage table legs from a flea market and a chest that was used in a mechanic's garage (and had several layers of paint & grease when I rescued it) that was sitting in a junk yard.  The new faucet is made to look like a hand pump, which is a nod to farm life and what my husband does for a living.


The linen closet has a screen door.


We used slate tile on the floor and surrounding the tub/shower, all the way to the ceiling.
I love the varied colors and it is very forgiving about showing dirt in a kids' bathroom.


To be continued...

1 comment: